Pet Allergy Testing & Dermatology
Hundreds of skin diseases affect our animal friends, making their diagnosis and management both frustrating and challenging. Dermatology and allergy services at Hefner Road Animal Hospital are comprehensive, focusing on prevention.
Conditions we treat include:
- Allergic skin disease
- Autoimmune/immune-mediated skin disorders
- Infectious and parasitic skin diseases
- Genetic skin and coat diseases
- Acute and chronic ear diseases in all species
Some of our specialties include:
- Nutrition—Much of the time, the problem comes down to nutrition. For that reason, we focus on finding the right balanced diet for your pet. A healthy diet will prevent many diseases.
- Allergies—Allergies in your dog or cat can cause increased itching and scratching, making them very uncomfortable. Many times there are concurrent ear and skin infections, further increasing their discomfort. We will address these at your appointments.
- Serum allergy testing—Once a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis is made, serum allergy testing is used to identify allergens to which your pet is allergic.
- Immunotherapy—Using the results from the allergy test, we can formulate a “vaccine” or immunotherapy. These are allergy shots you give your pet to diminish or prevent allergic symptoms. The shots are given with a very small needle under the skin.
- Endocrinal diseases—These are hormonal skin diseases causing hair loss. Normally, your pet is not particularly itchy.
- Ectoparasitic conditions—These are parasitic skin conditions that may or may not cause increased itchiness, depending on the parasite. Some are zoonotic (diseases transmitted between humans and animals).
- Immune-mediated diseases—These diseases are ones in which your pet’s immune system attacks your pet’s body. They can cause devastating dermatological effects, even death.
Contact us to set up an appointment today.